Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A quick note while I am away

Hey all, or some, or none! My last blog seems to leave you hanging on a line, and then life intervened. The Poker Monster is yet to turn pro. I has a day job, and it's occupied too much of my time lately. Not enough poker for me, although I do promote a little balance in my life. There are other things like than work, poker, and blogging...

So I'm making excuses while promising to do some blogging this week to talk more about either the last big tourney (subtitled how I went from suckout to big stack bully and back down to earth in 5 short hours) or more final table discussion, or both.

In the meantime, a question to my readers. I have found, as a matter of routine, that following a very big payday such as the $4000 made in two days 2 weeks ago, that I become a bad beat magnet for some time after. I once suffered a full month of putting my chips in with the best and seeing river after river catch lucky.

This past week it was flopping a set of 10s calling a small raise with 10 10, A high, and seeing my opponent cash in-all in catching one of 4 Queens to river a straight, yesterday it was slow-trapping AA from UTG against AK on a K 8 8 flop, knowing I was still good on the turn card J, and then having to slow down and pay a value bet of 500 on the river K to make his 2 outer full house to cripple my stack, on only the second hand I'd played post flop, and knowing that any other card on the river would have allowed me to trap him for a double up....

Sigh. Bad beat stories are not for sharing, and I WON'T SHARE my story about how my quad Aces got beat by a Royal flush once, but I do ask of you all....any one else share this experience of a big win/bad beat dry spell. We are all looking for the ghosts in the machine, after all, that unifying theory of poker which explains the universe...I invite your comments.

That Lady of Luck, until then, remains a pleasant if capricious enigma.

PM

No comments: